Every firm does not back up all their critical data as the backup software is complex with hundreds of options and spotty records. It requires offering training to the employees, to get used to it. Back-up files and restores most of the time doesn’t work well, it might take several hours to upload a single file.
It is essential for every firm to test the backup once. 99% of the firm doesn’t test their back up at all. They do not spend time in why the files or folders are not backed up correctly. One should spend more time and money to get the right back up software to get a proper backup.
Not having a proper and secured back-up software will always lead in affecting the file and folders. Ransomware can affect such file and data more easily. That is why it is vital to invest in good back-up software and test the software before getting started with it. Critical data should be stored in it timely.
8 steps to backups and restores that work
- The first step every firm should take before starting with the backup software is to test it in the beginning.
- Make a trusted person responsible to perform this task timely and correctly. The person should be trained about the process timely.
- Check that the supported application is working correctly by restoring the data so that successful ransomware should be able to affect you.
- Test every step during the restoration to make sure that the application is perfect and ready to work. The restoration process should be documented properly; it should record what worked well and what didn’t. If the application is not working properly, it should be tested, fixed and tested again.
- The data back-up should be done in different timeframes. It can be done daily, weekly and monthly.
- Encrypt your backups also helps in avoiding ransomware.
- The data should be stored in multiple, separate, physically distinct locations. They should be stored offline where ransomware cannot reach.
- Backing up a file and restoring it is easier than a simple checklist question. Keep the record of the detailed data of the restores, tests and application testing that proves it was really done the right way works at the time of the audit.