Worms a new type of evil programs designed by cybercriminals that can self-imitate from one system to another devoid of the need for someone to implement the file or transmit the infection to other systems. The words transmit automatically through local networks and the internet, infecting systems that are not sufficiently protected. The modern words are highly sophisticated and execute themselves by using multiple tricks and techniques. If your business has a weak cybersecurity defense, it may fall a prey to worms.
It is important to keep in mind that worms can cause major interruptions to your computer systems, affecting performance and increasing the risk for your critical business data and information. So, how do you know that worms have infected your systems? Well, there are certain symptoms your systems can represent when they get infected. These include the following:
- Decrease in your system performance
- Recurrently crashing and hanging computer
- Programs that open and run on their own
- Slowed down web performance
- Automatic diversion of your browser to malicious sources online
- Appearance of unauthorized advertisements on your website
- Strange system behavior
- Continuous warnings generated by your firewall
- Files that suddenly disappear or be automatically modified
- Sudden appearance of odd desktop files and icons
- Errors generated by your system
- Emails that were sent automatically from your account without your knowledge
The modern computer worms are becoming complex day by day and the attacks are increasing in frequency. Today, cybercriminals are using worms to steal financial information and business secrets.
So, what can you do to protect your business from worms? First off, you can reduce the risk of worm attacks by patching your systems, software, and applications. Secondly, you must segment your networks, which can help reduce the worm from spreading. Thirdly, you should train your employees in identifying worm symptoms and avoid clicking on suspicious emails.
You should also keep your firewalls activated all the time and be sure they are up-to-date. It is also critical to use trusted and premium anti-virus software. Moreover, you must always backup your critical data. In any case, if your system falls prey to a worm, you must immediately run anti-virus scan that comes with updated malware definition. Be sure to remove the worms if your anti-virus catches them. If you need more help, you can always contact us to clean your systems and put essential defenses in place against worms and other cyber threats.