Ransomware is a malicious software and type of malware, which denies access to data, network, or computer system and asks for a ransom to be paid. The common ways of spreading ransomware are through phishing emails and links.
Ransomware can be avoided by following the below points.
- Keep your software and operating system updated because an outdated system and operating method are the reason for various attacks.
- Train your employees not to open or click on links that are from unsolicited emails.
- Keep a backup of your data regularly and also have offline storage of the data.
- To run a program on a network use application whitelisting to approve them.
- To prevent a network from cyber attack, phishing emails, and messages, it is vital to apply active filters.
- All incoming and outgoing emails should be scanned to detect threats.
- Access to a malicious IP address can be blocked through firewalls.
There has been a rapid increase in ransomware attack these days. Given below are the four most massive ransomware attacks in the 06 years.
TeslaCrypt was attacked through ransomware which targeted auxiliary files that were associated with video games, saved games, maps, downloadable content, and much more. In early 2016, it was impossible for creators to restore the files without the help the attackers or malicious actors. But in May 2016 the Teslacrypt creators were ready to offers their master description key to the entire world and were done with their sinister activities.
In late 2015 and early 2016, the attackers targeted the ransomware platform. So many blocker attacks were made which made it difficult for users to get access to files. In 2015, simple locker attacks were spread. Simple lockers were first an android based attack which encrypts files and then makes it unreachable without the scammer’s help.
SimpleLocker delivered its malicious payload through a trojan downloader, which was difficult for the security to catch up.
In 2017 various hospitals in Ukraine and radio stations in California were attacked by ransomware. It was known as wanna cry attacks and was the worst attacks in history.
The wanna cry attacks arrive in the system like droppers, which is a self-contained program that embedded itself in order and extracts application components.
A ransomware attack known appeared in 2015, which was using software known as SamSam. It ramped up the next few years by gaining high profile scalps. Samsam is more technical, it does look for specific vulnerability, but controls carefully probe pre-selected targets for weakness with a hole it’s exploited the strategy from vulnerabilities.