Cyber-security is a method of protecting smart devices, computers, servers, electronic systems, network and data from malicious attacks. Cybersecurity is also known as electronic information security. Cybersecurity applies different from business to mobile computing and has the following important building blocks.
- Network security is a method of securing access to files and directories in a computer network from malware, ransomware, and viruses.
- Application security is a way of protecting software and hardware from outside threats. Application security is designed in the development stage of a device before deploying it.
- Information security is a method of securing the reliability and privacy of data during transmission and while in storage.
- Operational security is a way of protecting and classifying information asset and determining the control that is needed to protect the data. The operational security consists of five processes that are Identify critical information, Determine threats, Analyze vulnerabilities, Assess risks, and Apply appropriate countermeasures.
- Disaster recovery and business continuity define the methods that an organization uses to deal with cybersecurity incidents and other events that cause loss of the organization.
- End-user education is a way of educating the people who are the most unpredictable factor of cybercrime. Employees may introduce viruses and malware to the entire network by linking on authorized links which leads to cyber attacks.
The scale of the cyber threat
Organizations and business unit these days are spending billions of dollars on cybersecurity. To fight with the malicious code and aid, it is vital to monitor all electronic resources regularly.
Cybersecurity threat counters these three-fold:
- Cybercrime is conducted by single actors or groups targeting systems for financial gain.
- Cyber attack is conducted for collecting information for a political purpose.
- Cyber terror uses electronic devices by causing damage to it and creating panic or fear.
The typical method the cybercriminal uses to attack and enter a computer includes viruses, worms, spyware, Trojans, malware, and ransomware.
Viruses and worms are a malicious plan that self-replicate on computers or computer system where the user is not aware of. It causes damage to files and computer systems.
Spyware is a type of malware and is software that installed on your computer directly or unintentionally.
Torjon is another type of malware that is deployed by a hacker to gain access to users’ systems
Ransomware is software that is used to get access to a computer system and blocks it until ransomware is paid.