Why is cybersecurity important to the aviation industry?
With the integration of new technologies and system, the aviation system is getting more connected and dependent on systems and the internet. The aviation system is full of data and information that is why its safety and security is becoming more vulnerable to cyber attacks. The threat and risks rises will the increase in the connected devices. A cyber attack of an aviation industry can endanger the safety of an aircraft, affects operational reliability, business continuity and financial health.
It is important for the aviation industry to have appropriate cybersecurity measures to handle cyber attacks, threats, and risk on time.
What are the adopted decisions made by the aviation groups involved in governance?
After a risk assessment, different measures are assigned by the national authorities. The aviation industry ensures that the measures are developed to protect vital information and communications technology system that is used for national aviation purposes.
What are the greatest cybersecurity challenges for the aviation industry?
- Compliance testing should be conducted to ensure that all the systems components are safe and secure from compromise.
- An aviation industry should conduct a test to check its critical systems by external and independent firms who have cybersecurity expertise.
- It is important for companies working in the aviation industry to provide awareness and cybersecurity training. Each firm should promote a proactive cybersecurity culture from certified aviation authorities.
- An aviation firm should have a cybersecurity team who can identify cybersecurity vulnerabilities and measures on time.
- An aviation firm should implement and use strong cybersecurity policies in their system.
What measures are airlines taking to prevent cyber threats?
- To prevent cyber threat the board of directors should play a critical role.
- The airline firms should provide training and awareness related to cyber threats and crimes to their employees and should make it their daily routine as it should be discussed during meetings, presentations, and during assigning work.
- The airline firms should discuss, socialize and formalizes industry standards.
- Firms should have a strong team for cybersecurity
- Airline firms should invest more in strong cybersecurity products.