The number of data breaches has been increasing in the last few years. According to Thales 7 out of 10 companies in the US suffered from data breaches. As data breaches are increasing rapidly, business leaders must adopt new technologies to avoid risk and compete with competitors.
Cybersecurity forum has developed a threat horizon report for 2019. It covers nine threats which are caused by technology and information. They have also suggested some tips on how to address those threats.
The forum has divided the nine threats into three categories as Disruption, Distortion, and Deterioration.
The threats categorized under disruption are the internet becomes a target, ransomware will evolve, and insiders will be coerced.
- The Internet becomes a target. In 2019, nation states and the terrorist group may target the internet to cause widespread economic damage on their adversaries. Companies should use a continuity plan to prevent a potential attack. Companies should use other means of communication such as telex, satellite, and microwave to avoid damage.
- Ransomware will evolve. The cybercriminals will exploit connected smart devices. The security forum has suggested companies to work with industry associations to lobby and increase security standards to protect the IoT.
- Insiders will be coerced. The cybercriminals use old criminal techniques and target human capital to get access to a system. Security forum has suggested identifying the crown jewels and employees who own and access them.
These threats arise due to information integrity decrease.
- Misinformation becomes credible. The cybercriminals will target commercial organizations by spreading misinformation.
- Beware of falsified information. These types of threat are likely to increase in scale and number the coming years. A cybercriminal will falsify company internal information.
- Blockchains will be subverted. The blockchain is a new technique used for data transfer which is considered to be more secure. Security forum has warned that blockchain will be overturned to commit fraud.
There are three threats to this category.
- Corporate secrets exposed. The cybercriminals will attack the data reservoir collected by the communications providers.
- Insider threats cannot be accurately monitored. To prevent any risk security forum has suggested monitoring threats inside an organization.
- AI will have unexpected outcomes. New vulnerabilities of an organization will head to the unknown with the help of artificial intelligence.